3D Director - BC
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Full Time
- Production Management
At Mainframe Studios, we’re creators first. We eat creative and technical challenges for breakfast and come back for more. We’ve been doing this for 25+ years, and we’re still going strong. We’re lucky enough to have the best team in the business. From our artists to our technical and production folks, everyone is passionate about collaborating on some kickass projects. We’ve partnered with the biggest names in the business to create a huge library of content. With partners like Mattel, Netflix, DreamWorks, Sony, Silvergate, and Nickelodeon, it's no wonder we’ve established ourselves as a creative force to be reckoned with.
WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Under the guidance of the Executive Producer, the Director is responsible for leading a project’s team in achieving the overall vision of a project. Collaborating with Executive Producer, Partners and or Clients, the Director works to tell the best story possible from a visual and written standpoint within a project’s agreed upon parameters. The Director’s oversight covers the entire production through all phases.
While our studio remains in beautiful Kitsilano, Vancouver, we have transitioned all of our staff to work from home during these difficult times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Our technology allows our employees to log in remotely to our on-site workstations with little or no noticeable difference from the way they worked in our studio. We now have team members working all across BC, and are happy to consider that option into the future for many positions!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Determine the visual look, style of animation, cinematography and sound for a show.
- Inspire team to creatively deliver the best performance and look possible within the determined timeframe.
- Work with design team to establish a concise visual approach to the storytelling.
- Work with the story team to determine the best way to illustrate the script while communicating an entertaining and engaging story.
- Pitch project at each stage and incorporate creative notes from studio and executives.
- Create storyboards if necessary.
- Track that Story Artists, Editor, Pre-visualization Supervisor understand and track the overall key plot and character arcs and points.
- Meet consistently with the VFX Supervisor, CG Supervisor, technical leads and supervisors to ensure toolsets are feasible and support the creative needs of the project.
- Work with Animation Directors, and animators to produce the highest quality animation that the budget and schedule will allow.
- Work with sound design team, composer to determine direction and enhance the project’s creative vision.
- Anticipate potential roadblocks or limitations and find creative solutions.
- Partner with the producer to deliver the project on time, on budget and on quality.
- Support and integrate the values of Mainframe Studios that being a commitment to innovation, creativity, professionalism and inspiration.
- Interact respectfully and professionally with colleagues, other staff members, partners and clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree/diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience.
- Previous directing experience required.
- Understanding of the CG, live-action production process is desired
- Script writing and storyboarding experience an asset.
- 6-10 years of experience working in a professional environment within animation.
- Must demonstrate storytelling, filmmaking, creative and artistic abilities.
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives.
- Ability to direct and inspire crew.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to clearly pitch and present story, art materials, etc.
- Ability to communicate processes, plans and concepts and set clear expectations.
- Solid work ethic and positive attitude, flexible and calm demeanour.
- Efficient and detail oriented.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners. Should you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please let us know your requirements when contacted.